Finland’s Neste Oil reported today a 64 per cent increase in the use of waste and residues in renewable fuel production to more than 1.2 million tonnes in 2013 from 740,000 tonnes in 2012, and 330,000 tonnes in 2011. The company now produces enough renewable diesel from waste and residues to annually power more than one million cars.

“We have quadrupled our use of waste and residues in just two years and developed a broad and flexible renewable feedstock base, in line with our strategy. We now have 12 different renewable inputs in our feedstock base. Going forward, we will continue to focus on extending the range of non-food materials we use and continue verifying the sustainability of all our renewable inputs,” said Matti Lehmus, Neste Oil’s Executive Vice President, Oil Products and Renewables.

Waste and residues accounted for 53 per cent of the 2.3 million tonnes of renewable feedstocks used last year, while vegetable oil, mainly crude palm oil, accounted for the remaining 47 per cent. Neste Oil increased its use of waste animal fat and palm fatty acid distillate (PFAD), a residue generated during palm oil production, in particular, and also began using three new waste and residue-based raw materials – tall oil pitch, technical corn oil, and spent bleaching oil.

Neste Oil produces a comprehensive range of petroleum products and is the world’s leading supplier of renewable diesel. It had net sales of €17.5 billion in 2013 and employs around 5,000 people, and is listed on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki. The company uses around 70 per cent of its annual research and development budget of about €40 million on research into renewable feedstocks, with a particular focus on completely new types of inputs, such as microbial oil and algae oil.